Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM Overview
The Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM Lens: Best Portrait Prime
Prized for its ability to isolate focus, the FE 135mm f/1.8 GM from Sony is a medium telephoto prime characterized by a bright and sophisticated design. Perfect for portraiture, this lens also excels in close-range sports shooting and as a unique focal length for landscape subjects. Its G Master design prioritizes both sharpness and bokeh quality and the lens also sports fast autofocus capabilities and a durable build quality.
Fast Design and Advanced Optics
As part of Sony’s esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations.
Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers a wealth of control over focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
One XA element is incorporated into the optical design, which features superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other spherical aberrations.
Two extra-low dispersion elements, including one Super ED element, are featured in the lens design and help to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
A Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions.
Fast and Accurate AF
- XD Linear Motor system and internal focus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance and also contributes to more natural, intuitive manual focus control.
- Minimum focusing distance of just 2.3′ renders a 0.25x maximum magnification for working with close-up subjects.
- Two customizable focus hold buttons are present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Weather-Sealed Construction and Intuitive Handling
- Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints and is easy to clean.